Monday 11 June 2012

Documenting Delight: day one hundred and sixty three {travelling to welcome a new baby cousin}


Yesterday Lachie’s sister and brother in law welcomed their second child into the world. I heard the news just as I hopped off a bus after a little excursion with Finn.  While I was doing something so ordinary, so everyday, in another city not too far away a loved one was giving birth, greeting a child for the first time, and doing something, well, bloody extraordinary. That within the same day the ordinary and the extraordinary exists together floors me every time.
If you know about my aversion to car travel you would wonder why we made the seven hour round trip in one day to visit a less than 24hr old new baby cousin to Finn and Harper, but therein lies the pulling power of a fresh newborn. The logical thing to do would have been to wait a week, so we could maybe organise a night stop over or hey even give us enough time to buy a present for the new arrival, but I’ve never been a fan of waiting. I’m glad we didn’t wait either. Newborns bring with them so much hope, togetherness and love, made even more powerful by the fact they don’t even know it. It is all simply by their presence alone. Of coarse I looooved holding our new niece but equally I loved seeing the excitement her arrival generated. Smiles that couldn’t be wiped off faces, warm hugs, laughter and loving glances and sighs at a precious new person. Writing this now, the feeling still gives me goosebumps.
To our new beautiful niece/cousin, you are only one day old and we love you already. We can’t wait to watch you grow and change and bring more even love and happiness to our family.

A final note on our day:

As we do most nights, on the drive home, we each stated our favourite part of the day. Tonight’s instalment went as follows:

Harper: My favourite part was seeing “my baby”.

Lachie: It would have to be seeing the baby for the first time and seeing my family.

Me: Cuddling the new baby.

Finn: My favourite bit was driving through all the tunnels. I liked the tunnels with all the lights in them.

Ah Finn, never one to follow the crowd ;) 

2 comments:

  1. yes you were totally mad to do this - but in a madly devoted and baby loving way!! so cute and so glad you all got to go and get snuggles - bet the kids loved it too! love the little convo in the car, how funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I so know what you mean. My little nephew was born 01-06-12 and we were able to get to the hospital when he was just 6 hours old. Brand new baby snuggles, totally amazing. Made me clucky as hell haha

    That conversation in the car is so funny, I think that tradition might become one of ours too, so sweet to ask the kids what their favourite part of the day is.

    ReplyDelete