Monday 4 June 2012

Documenting Delight: day one hundred and fifty six {swimming lessons}


Winter is here and our weekly swimming lessons continue as normal. This morning as I shuffled into the changeroom shivering and trying to pry wet swimming gear from myself and my two wriggling swimming partners I  questioned whether pushing on through the winter months is worth it. Is this complete madness? My theory is that if we commit to year round lessons  it will just become something we do, rather than an activity that we complete in the warmer months then have to re-adjust to after we give it a break for a while. You see, Finn isn’t so keen on the water. It has been a long, hard slog to get Finn to the point where he will willingly enter the pool.  He is now happy in the water, likes his teacher and is slowly gaining some confidence in the water. Even Canberra’s minus temps won’t be able to stop the momentum we have going.

Growing up, I was never far from the beach. I have always been around water, so much so that I never actually remember when I learnt to swim. But I was lucky, water was part of my environment. Living in Canberra, with the closest beach a couple of hours away, Finn and Harper will never have the same experience with water as I did. I can’t change that fact, but it does make me even more determined to make sure that both our kids learn to swim.

So over the coming months  I will be getting in my cozzies and pretending it’s a warm summer’s day, even when frost is slowly clearing outside the Aquatic Centre. Mind over matter. Mind over matter.

1 comment:

  1. Brrrrr! It makes me cold just thinking about it! I admire your dedication though :)

    ReplyDelete