Tuesday 19 June 2012

Documenting Delight: day one hundred and seventy one {mini mechanics}


So here’s one thing I am learning about photography as I muddle my way through this project: the picture you plan to take within the day is rarely the one that you end up selecting.

Lately I have been feel a little uninspired on the photography front. Maybe it’s the cold weather? Maybe it’s just reaching the mid way point? Not sure. So this morning I vowed to stomp all over the winter blues, rug myself and the kids up and go for a walk to catch some lovely winter light. I picked a spot at a local park which I was sure would work well. This was the plan in my head and it was going to work out. Then..... we stepped out the door. While the sun was out, it was chilly and the wind, oh the wind. Finn and Harper happily went along with my plan on the journey to the park but once at the park Harper had what I could only describe as a 'weather related tantrum'.  Once my camera came out she plonked herself in the dirt, wept big old tears whilst yelling out “It’s too windy here!!!!” We toughed it out for a while by it was obvious this play moment just wasn’t working. Decent photos taken: zero.

We started walking home, where every 3 metres Harper would fall to the ground and proclaim “I can’t walk, it is too windy to walk!”  We made it to the local shops where there is a car sculpture that the kids have fallen in love with. Happy Harper came back as they climbed over it while we took a break from walking.

This is where today’s photo came from. Unplanned, but a moment worth capturing.

5 comments:

  1. Thinking of you!

    I can just feel the chilly day, with those rosy cheeks and warm hats. I'll pretend I'm there as it was 103 (39 C I guess) today here and I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much nicole! it's looking like it will be another 2 weeks until we get all our gear back. It has been such a long wait and I am itching to take photos. Im so sad that my project won't be complete but I need to stop focusing on the missing days and look towards all my future photos :)
      um wow, that's hot!
      thanks again for all your support. X

      Delete
  2. This is such a sweet shot. :-) I'm glad you captured a memory even though the day didn't turn out exactly as you had hoped!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have lots of days like this ;)
    Thanks for your comment lisa. I am glad that I found your blog through the Documenting Delight group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that image! Beautiful! The best photos often are the spur of the moment ones x

    ReplyDelete