Wednesday 9 May 2012

Documenting Delight: day one hundred and thirty {growing independence}


Things have been changing around here. My little girl who I could not leave, who would collapse to the ground in tears when I would announce that I was popping down to the shops and her Daddy would be looking after her, has had a turn around. In the past month she has happily parted from me, sometimes (*gasps*) without a sideways glace and barely a muttered “Bye, mum”.
For the past two and a half years Harper has been my near constant companion. She is far from a shy child and when in the presence of other children or adults she would happily play and chat but I needed to be there, not next to but within view. Most of the time I would marvel at the love she gave to me, the security she found in me, but then there were times where I would feel trapped and just plain longed to leave her for a coffee date without feeling like I had traumatised her.
A common myth regarding Attachment Parenting is that it creates clingy, dependent children. Yes, I have kept Harper close in her early years and she has needed this closeness but her sudden switch from dependence to independence has highlighted that Attachment Parenting can in fact help our children become secure, independent individuals when allowed to do so in their own time.

Today I left Harper with my lovely friend Kate so I could have a child free morning. Kate needed to remind Harper that she may like to give me a goodbye cuddle before they departed. She left at ease. No screaming, no “Muuuuuuuuuuuma!”. Wow.
So there I was with three hours to myself. It’s quite incredible what you can achieve without two toddlers in tow isn’t it? A trip to ALDI, parcels to the post office, phone calls made, a whole coffee sipped whilst sitting down, a chapter  read, emails sent and a washing load in the machine. I felt so productive but also it was incredibly relaxing.

{a things to do list, take away coffee, a book and just MYSELF}

When I picked Harper up I could hear loud noises coming from Kate’s house. Oh no, she is crying! Not the case at all. More like laughing (possibly at “funny baby Eli”). Phew! She had a great morning with Kate, completely at ease with someone else taking care of her. Wow again.
And just to add a little icing to a brilliant morning, I received a gift from Kate. It’s not my birthday, just an unexpected and thoroughly thoughtful gift from a wonderful friend. I now have a copy of Kelle Hampton’s memoir Bloom. Kate and I have been following her blog for quite some time, and I am touched that Kate purchased a copy especially for me. Kate started her copy during her recent Mama’s 24hr retreat and now I can begin mine. 
My baby is growing and changing, a good book awaits me and a friend made my day. A blessed morning it was.


7 comments:

  1. Thats beautiful. So so beautiful!
    I loved this whole post, the cuteness of Harper, your journey with Attachment parenting {Avie prefers staying at Daycare when I go to pick her up - that makes me sad!} and what a beautiful friend Kate is!!
    Let me know how the book is, I watched her little preview and cried.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Angie :)
      Gosh, I know what you mean, being met with a bit of indifference when picking our little ones up can be upsetting. I am SURE it is no reflection on your bond with Avie, more that she is happy and content at daycare (which is a good thing!)
      Oh yes I have seen that vid. Her story and the way she has poured positivity into her life inspires me greatly. Will let you know what I think about the book :)

      Delete
  2. aww Amber what a lovely post although I cannot BUH-LIEVE you photographed my horrendous scrawl!!!! ;) Hopefully a signed book plate from Kelle will be covering that up quick smart!!! I am sooooo glad you had such a lovely busily-relaxing morning! YIPPEEE for that, you truly deserve it girl, after all the hard yards you have invested in your kids so devotedly. Btw i want you to know that just like last week, Harper was a TOTAL GEM today. 100% (seriously) happy, cooperative, sharing, easy-going, delightful. Not an ounce of trouble and i think her and eli seem to really enjoy being together in a really special mellow way - very chilled out and caring... its just gorgeous. and sorry to say, she did not ask for you once!!! ;) Such a precious girl, you should be proud! and yippeee for some new found independence... for her but for YOU as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your writing! What you wrote means a lot to me, so that's the most important thing :)
      Thank you for your lovely words, your support and for always encouraging me to find ways to nurture myself.
      Wow, thank you for telling me that about Harper. Phew! That makes me really happy that she responds well to other adults and children. She REALLY likes you Kate! oh and she is IN LOVE with her little buddy Eli. Pretty sure she thinks everyday is an "Eli day". Bit disappointing when I tell her that there will be no Eli catch ups for the day ;)
      Thank you my dear friend, thank you. xxx

      Delete
  3. WHat a lovely post! It's always a little bit sad when they don't get upset when you leave - another reminder that they are growing up I guess! SO glad that you were able to enjoy yourself and have a productive morning too! How lucky you are to have a friend like Kate :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Amber, what a post!

    You should be so proud of yourself. Harper has challanged you as a parent and you have risen to that challenge in every way, always trying to better yourself and be there for your little girl. And look at your reward - a confident, connected, secure child who is a joy to be around. Wonderful!

    And I am so happy to see that you and Kate are really being there for each other and supporting each other not only as mothers but as individuals too. It is very inspiring.

    I want Bloom book reviews from both you and Kate stat ;)!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andi for your lovely words.
      You betcha! Harper has challenged me in a lot of ways. Getting a sense now that some of our hard work is beginning to pay off now :)
      I am so lucky that I have Kate in my life, and my kids too have beautiful friendships with her two children. Very lucky indeed.
      Will let you know how I go with Bloom. I started it last night and I had to force myself to put it down and go to bed!

      Delete