Sunday 13 May 2012

Documenting Delight: day one hundred and thirty four {mother's day}



A Mother’s Day full of special moments and surprises. A sleep in, flowers from the Grower’s Markets, a card with messages from Finn and Harper, a walk through our suburb, lunch out, a bus ride home (well, that was more for the transport lover in this house) and cuddles.


It is hard for me to eloquently express what it means to be to be a Mother. I am learning that it doesn’t define me, in the sense that I am slowly finding ways to find and explore things that I love that are separate from my role as a parent. Being a mother does stretch far and wide in my life; it pushes me to look at who am I and how the way I look after myself, view myself and respond to others affects my children. Motherhood has taught me to slow down, to be a strong and capable adult but also to take the time to view the world with the same playfulness and innocence my children do, to strengthen the relationship I have with myself and those I love and to see joy in the quiet, simple moments in my daily life. I accept that I will be in a continual state of learning as I walk alongside my children, never perfect but always striving to be a good, kind and loving Mum.
This day, while special to me, is far from all about solely me as a mother. It is about my own special Mum and the positive impact she has had on my life and my parenting. It’s about the fellow mothers who enrich my life and give support and inspire me. It’s also a day where my thoughts are with friends and family members who are no longer able to celebrate with their own mothers and with those who long to be mothers themselves. 
This day is also about my own children, the two precious little ones who made me a Mother. Finn and Harper, I love being your Mumma Bear. Thank you for making me feel special today. x

{special thanks to Lachie for being the chief photographer today. you put up with all my demands ("are all the focal points lighting up?" "just take another one...ok maybe one more") with good grace. I adore the moments you captured today and all the assistance you gave Finn & Harper to make this a special day for me.}

5 comments:

  1. LOVE this Amber. You always write such beautiful and honest posts. Lachie - great job dude! Photos are just gorgeous!!
    Youre such an amazing and awesome mum and totally inspiring {esp for new mums interstate ;)} Looks like a fantastic day xxx

    P.s Totally diggin' your outfit ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie :) I really wasn't sure where I was going to go with this post but I am glad I took the time to reflect a little on what Motherhood means to me.
      Thanks for commenting on my outfit. Not my ususal tracksuit pants attire ;)

      Delete
  2. WOW girl!!! what a gorgeous post, beautifully written!! i am soooo glad you had such a special day, i was really excited to hear that you did! it all sounds glorious and the photos are just too cute - great to see YOU in them!Loved your words about motherhood not defining us, always stretching and growing and learning alongside our children. true indeed! Heehee yes also had hubby on photographer duty this weekend, determined to get some good shots w my kids!!! Lach did great! So glad you got spoilt and nurtured and cherished today. Your family adores you and well they should. what a devoted mama you are. just wonderful!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful words and pics Amber. The first two cuddle pics are just so special. Glad you had a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber there is so much I love about this post.

    I love the photos with you with F & H, Lachie did a beautiful job taking them.

    I love the photo of you all walking down the street and your outfits are all gorgeous!

    I love that you mentioned your own mother and women who are still waiting to celebrate their first mothers day. This put a lump in my throat because I have been there.

    I love how honest and real you are in your posts and I am always inspired and humbled by what you write.

    I am so happy that you had the special day you deserve my beautiful mama friend xx

    ReplyDelete