Friday 17 August 2012

Documenting Delight: day two hundred and thirty {Book of the year awards + meeting an author}


Today marked the first day of the Children’s Book Council of Australia Book Week. Finn and I braved the cold weather (In Finn’s words: “Mummy it is such a miserable day!”) and headed out to the National Library of Australia to hear the announcement of the CBCA’s Book of the Year winners. The event tied in really nicely with Project #6 in My Little Bookcase’s The Little Book Adventure. Project #6: Meet an author or illustrator, encouraged families to find and meet a children’s author or illustrator at a book event during the month of August. With local children’s authors signing their books after the announcement, we were able to successfully complete this month’s Book Adventure (....after missing the last coulple of Projects). Completing this project was a simple task but one that made for a lovely outing for Finn & I and bought him a little closer to understanding who is behind a book or collections of books.

Before the Book Award winners were announced we spent some time in the National Library’s beautiful bookstore. It gave us time to read through a couple of the shortlisted titles we hadn’t had the chance to view previously. The two that struck a chord with Finn the most were ‘A bus called Heaven’ by Bob Graham and ‘The Runaway Hug’ by Nick Bland. To find out not long after our mini reading session that these two books won Book of the Year for their separate categories wasn’t really a big surprise. Both are beautiful books with heartwarming endings.
{taking in the pictures from 'a bus called heaven'. finn was quickly drawn in by the intricate illustrations}

{i love how finn draws his shoulders in when he is reading. it's almost like he is trying to get closer to the pages}

After the official announcement we returned to the bookstore and I told Finn that he could pick out one of the shortlisted books. He chose ‘A bus called heaven’. I had to restrain myself from picking up ‘A runaway hug’ too. We also chose a book written by local author Stephanie Owen Reeder for her to sign. Finn decided that he would like to give the book, ‘Colour My World’ to Harper. Finn approach Stephanie and they had a lovely chat about colours and how to spell his sister’s name. After the meeting Finn was so excited to return home and show Harper her new book with “the lady’s writing inside it”. 

{meeting stephanie owen reeder & finding delight in her feather pen!}


{a special message for harper}
 Completing this project was a lovely way to extend Finn's understanding of authors, and of coarse it is always a treat to add a couple of gorgeous books to our bookshelves. 

9 comments:

  1. Lovely post Amber. It looks like the most wonderful morning for you and Finn.
    I was in Little Sprout this afternoon and couldn't resist buying 'A bus called heaven' after you told me about it last night. I read it to Audrey and straight away she wanted it "again". She really got involved in the story and was even frightened when the tow truck arrives. Such a beautifully illustrated book.
    Leah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah, I am so glad you purchased it! I guess me giving a mini book review on our dinner out paid off ;) It is the type of book that kids want to hear again straight away. There is a lot to take in and I am sure their minds are working in overdrive to process it all!
      Finn was also worried when the tow truck arrived. He kept saying "But what is he going to do???"
      Happy reading!

      Delete
  2. oh amber, what a gorgeous little outing for the two of you - two book lovers having a wonderful day! really precious. im feeling a little jealous i must admit, lily is so fascinated and fascinating right now, im soooo itching to feel well enough to do outings again with herof such interesting things!!! patience, right?! in the mean time, i will live through you - and tag along next year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope some really special outings for you and Lily are on the cards when you are feeling better. It must be so hard Kate. Patience? Well, I think you have a stack of that my friend. xxx

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful outing for you both. Your photos are gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you both had a fabulous time! I must try and find Colour My World, It's always nice to discover kids books from local authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa!
      Stephanine also wrote a book called 'I've got a feeling!" which we borrowed from the library a while back. The book introduces children to feelings words through simple text and vibrant illustrations.

      Delete
  5. That sounds like such a wonderful day! You've inspired me, Amber. I consider myself a huge lover of books and a reading advocate, I collect children's books, and we spend a lot of time at the library. But, I hadn't thought about finding an opportunity for the kids to meet an author and am now going to do that. I'm also going to look at that book project page. Thanks for this great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that I could point you towards the Book Adventure challenge Nicole. I can really tell you love books and wish to pass on a love of reading to your delightful four. This "adventure" has been a great way for our family to extend on our love of books. The great things about these projects is that the tasks require a real team effort, so everyone in the family can contribute in some way. I am sure that you could easily integrate My Little Bookcase's Book Adventures into your amazing homeschooling program. Have fun and I would love to hear how you go!

      Delete