Monday 6 February 2012

Documenting Delight: Day thirty seven



Finn your interest in letters and in particular how you form letters is huge. It has been building for some time now but really it’s only been over the past month or so that you have realised that these letters which you are fascinated with can be written on paper. And by you no less!

Today you asked me to write Harper’s name so you could copy it underneath. You had the ‘H’, ‘r', ‘p’ and ‘e’ undercontrol but the ‘a’ really threw you. I am trying hard not to slip into my pre-kids Kindergarten teacher role, stopping myself from actively “teaching” you but then I see how much you are directing your own learning and asking to be shown. As I watched you get increasingly frustrated I drew the letter in the air saying the words “around, up and down” to help with the formation. I hope that I am striking a balance between letting you discover things for yourself and giving you guidance when you request it?

Seeing how reading and writing begins at home has been a real eye opener for me. Being a Kindergarten teacher (in a past life ;) ) I rarely saw what happened in these areas before my students began formal schooling. It really has highlighted how much learning, planned or unplanned, happens in the home environment, years before a child’s schooling days begin.  

Any surprising/exciting pre-school learning happening in your home?

11 comments:

  1. You are so lucky to have this knowledge. Thank you for making me think a little more about J's informal learning in the home and the flow on effect it will have throughout his life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mel!
      I've been thinking a lot about all the informal learning opportunities, and how I can bring them out in our home. Glad that it has prompted you to ponder too :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely photo! We sometimes get so caught up in the idea that we need to be educating our children, that we forget the incredible innate passion they have to seek out learning for themselves! I hate to think that having formal education pushed upon them can quash this passion, and make them resistant to having to learn. It is so precious to watch! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! If we watch our kids and let them lead us, that's when they start learning.
      Oh I hear you about the passion dying :( I will be working really hard to encourage his love of learning as the years go on.

      Delete
  3. Wow his letters are fantastic!! well done Finn, he is obviously working hard and has a yearn to learn :) I think you are striking a perfect balance Amber (of course!)... i think its amazing how you let them lead and enquire and try on their own but i think its also great to help them out esp to prevent frustration and to get them over the 'humps'. Would love to see more posts from you on balancing the teaching (and i always love those tidbits from you on what things form the basis of writing or reading etc) with the free-learning. Your first blog request??! As for us, lily 'writes' quite a bit (eg made up letters and cards to people) with the occasional L I Y thrown in, sometimes tries her name properly but not as keen nor dedicated as Finn yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A blog request - hilarious! I am certainly thinking about this area a lot, as I see Finn delving so much into this area. I'll see what I can do!

      Thank you for your lovely words.

      I think that is the thing, Lily is trying all these things out, writing cards/letters etc, recognising that "markings" mean something, they send a message. The formation will come later. I certainly didn't think that I would be discussing any of this with Finn at this age but I'm trying to go with his interests and at the moment it's this!

      Delete
  4. I love this!! Finn is just gorgeous. You're amazing Amber! So much creativity in that house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie! That is so lovely of you. Finn is a funny, curious little fella :)

      Delete
  5. Ok, is is crazy or what that I posted that photo of Hannah writing on the iPad today and this is blog topic! Finn is doing FANTASTIC with his letters, look at that 'p' and 'e'!!!! Impressive!

    Hannah has been fascinated by letters (only just starting to get into numbers) since she turned 2. She could write the letter H from then. It has always been of her own direction and I will help/assist if and when she asks me. Normally I just give her a notebook and pen and she goes for it. She is amazing in her comprehension of letters. She sees letters in things that are not even actual letters - for example an envelope was folded in such a way that it resembled a 'T'. And she told me it was a T. I was like what?! I find it so fascinating to see her learn. She goes through phases with it as with everything else and I think right now we will go through another learning phase :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd say that was a wonderful demonstration of scaffolding Amber. Vygotsky would be happy with that! :)

    ReplyDelete