Wednesday 23 May 2012

Documenting Delight: day one hundred and forty four {road trippin' with toddlers}


Tomorrow we hit the road. A trip to Melbourne to visit dear friends. When we started planning this mini holiday Lach mentioned that he wanted to drive rather fly. I cringed. I am the first to admit that I don’t deal particularly well with two kids in the back and a long car journey. Heck, sometimes I don’t cope well with a ten minute trip in the car with Finn and Harper. But I am a planner so I have been sourcing tips and activities to make this road trip bearable, and optimistically, fun. After four years of lots and lots of small and big road trips, we have caved and borrowed a portable DVD player. I am certain it will get used but I am hoping its usage will be on the minimal side. Again, optimistic.

So I am armed with a bag of tricks and food. Fingers crossed we make it more than one hour out of Canberra before I crack it and switch the first DVD on.  
A peek inside my travel activities bag:
{alphabet + animal flashcards laminated and attached to a metal ring. source: Mr Printables }
{last road trip the kids each had a mini notepad for writing in. unfotunately they found it difficult to draw on as it wasn't firm enough. i thought these cheap clip boards with blank paper attached might solve the problem}
{mix & match magnets by DJECO}
{mini whiteboards and whiteboard markers}
{a stack of audiobook CDs and children's music CDs}
{a travel snack box: i snatched this idea from harvest moon by hand. i bought two medium sized divided craft storage boxes and filled them it with a variety small dry snacks.} 

{inside the travel snack box}

2 comments:

  1. well no surprise how organised you are but still - WOW! it all looks fab!!! and whether you use the dvd or not, the great thing is there will also be lots of other fun activities and memories of a great family road trip!!! hope it all went smoothly and you guys are having a blast! love the snack boxes and the many fun ideas! rock on xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the trip went well Amber! I love the little snack boxes and the clipboards with their names on them :) Been missing your posts xx

    ReplyDelete