Friday 20 April 2012

Documenting Delight: day one hundred and eleven


If you are a follower of this blog you will have picked up these points about my two children:

a.       They are very different, both in looks and personality. The term chalk and cheese couldn’t be more perfect when it comes to describing my two.

b.       I rarely manage to snag a good photo of the two of them together. They are often just not phyiscailly in the same space and when they are, Harper is usually mauling Finn with her over affection that he is screaming. Not great photo material.

So when I walked in on the above play scenario between Finn and Harper, I scrambled to get my camera and snapped away like a mad woman. My camera settings were all out but I had to let it all go and just make sure I captured this moment. It may need a little explaining: Harper is all about imaginative/role play at the moment. She mainly likes to take on occupations and act out their work tasks. This week she has been a hairdresser, a cafe owner and a doctor. Today though she was a make-up artist, applying lipstick on her brother. Ordinarily, this would be a pretty cute moment but it was so much more for me coming from my two kids. Finn prefers his own space, doesn’t like to be touched and whenever role play is happening he likes to set the scene. To allow the play to be directed by his younger sister, to allow her to touch him and by golly just the fact that they were playing together meant this was a huge deal.  
{Finn, looking quite tense but going with it regardless.}

While we have been at Mum’s, to my complete surprise, there have actually been lots of moments like this. Quiet, co-operative play. Screaming, crying, snatching? Nope, haven’t seen any of that so far. I’m sure my Mum thinks I am exaggerating the truth when I drone on and on about their play difficulties when we are home, as right now all she has seen are two siblings who love each other and enjoy each other’s company. Trust me Mum, I ain’t stretching the truth. Whatever is happening, I am watching it and loving it.
{Oh look! Another play moment!}

4 comments:

  1. hehehe I love this post.
    they look so cute together and seem to get along so well!! maybe not all the time?! great photos! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw Amber, these photos make me SO happy especially knowing what it would mean to you!! I love that Finn is letting Harper put makeup on him even though yes he looks a bit tense - now that is LOVE!!! very sacrificial and accomodating, what a great big bro he is! Just adorable and I know Harper would have been thrilled. Perhaps a corner has been turned?? So glad you captured these moments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the times are a-changing? Hopefully you get to capture more and more of these moments in weeks to come. They really look beautiful playing together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Amber, I hear you on the angelic play whilst in the company of others, and the crazy fighting that goes on when only Mum is at home - it happens all the time at my place too!

    ReplyDelete