Sunday 29 April 2012

{Spreading our love of books}

Back in February we started My Little Bookcase’s The Little Book Adventure. This month saw us working on Project two, Spread your love of books. The brief was to borrow a book or collection of books from your library and leave a note inside detailing what you liked about the book. Cool concept hey?

As we make our way through this 10 month adventure I am enjoying completing the tasks in partnership with Finn & Harper. It isn’t about me whipping up activities and presenting them to my kids, both projects so far have pushed me to get them involved from beginning to end. This is as much their Book Adventure as it is mine.

So after a month of getting to know our latest batch of library books we sat down to have a chat about the things Finn and Harper liked about the books we borrowed. As we chatted I jotted down their responses. While Jackie from My Little Bookcase kindly provided us with a letter head, I knew that I want to somehow combine our letters with photographs. When I suggested the idea to Finn & Harper that they use the library books to play a game of peek-a-boo I thought Harper would go bananas for it and I would have to drag Finn through the mini-shoot. How wrong I was. To my great surprise, my boy who usually shouts “Put the camera away Mummy!” at any sighting on my beloved Canon, completely hammed it up in front of the camera. Harper on the other hand was completely disinterested and rolled around on the floor whenever my camera came near her.


{The one and only shot I got of Miss Harper}

Once I had the shots I added the letter underneath the image using photoshop, printed them and attached them with bluetak to the inside of each book.
{Letters attached to the books}

{All bagged up and ready to head back to the library}
The books have been returned and I can’t stop thinking about the little surprises that are waiting to be found by a small collection of Canberra Kids.

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful approach to this challenge - the photos are adorable! I am loving being part of The Little Book Adventure and seeing how everyone completes the activities. We are from Canberra too so maybe we might find one of your notes (or you could find ours). Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Melissa. How lovely that another 'Little Book Adventure' participant came over to visit my blog :)
      I love the different approaches everyone in the adventure is taking too. There are certainly some creative families out there.
      Oh yay! I hope we find one of yours. Off to library this week so here's hoping!

      Delete
  2. WOW Amber, this is AH-MAZING!!! What a cool surprise any kid and parent would get to find that in their book - love it! :) Love the little write ups and the photos, just gorgeous. What a lovely project... am inspired to get involved but on 2nd thoughts, the project you already got me into this year is taking up quite enough time already!!!! ;) Nevertheless, will enjoy seeing what you guys get up to developing a life long love of books. Lovely work - WELL DONE!!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely one :)
      I hear you on the time front! The Book Adventure has taken time & effort but it has also been fun, practical and rewarding.
      I think I will let you off the hook with this one ;) You don't need to be dragged into anymore of my "projects" hee, hee.

      Delete
  3. Amber, this is seriously great. SO creative. You are amazing. I am always so inspired by you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! This is such a fantastic idea! I must remember this for when Eva is a little older.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amber, I love your ideas for project #2! Glad I have found your blog through My Little Bookcase, I've joined you and look forward to reading your posts! Hope you will stop by Little Ladybird sometime :) Tash

    ReplyDelete