Friday 27 April 2012

Documenting Delight: day one hundred and eighteen {Australian War Memorial}


War, soldiers, artillery and military vehicles have all been at the forefront of Mr Finn’s mind since ANZAC day. Requests to visit the War Memorial in the city since that day have been coming in hourly intervals so I thought today I would surprise him with a visit to one of his favourite hometown attractions. His face when I told him of our plans = pure joy.

We spent three hours inside and outside of the Memorial. For us, that is a huge excursion but it was all so effortless and enjoyable that I myself didn’t want to leave. Love ventures out like these. On top of the thoroughly engaging exhibitions, when we entered the building a friendly staff member advised us that they would be commencing an interactive storytime session for under 5s this morning. Oh yeah!

This was our morning.
{This photo captures Finn's nature perfectly. All the children were performing actions in the storytelling session but Finn was just patiently waiting for everyone to sit down and for the quiet/non-moving part of the story to re-commence}
{Flying the helicopter in the Discovery Centre}

{Reading the statue plaque. Upside down}

{Big morning. Just need a little rest}

8 comments:

  1. I didn't realise it was THAT fun!! Def have to go next time we're in town. Amber these are just beautiful. Harper - always squeal at how cute she is! I am like Finn, I'd be sitting there {not so patiently} waiting for storytelling too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's heaps of fun Angie! They have had a massive upgrade over the past few years, which has made a huge difference. The 'Discovery Zone' is pitched at younger children and highly interactive. It kept mine busy for ages!

      Delete
  2. Oh I remember going there with my dad every time we went to Canberra. So many amazing stories that I'd never heard, so many brave, brave men. It's great that your kids can experience and learn about that from such a young age :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful. Especially love the look on Finn's excited face on the steps and the huge cannon photo! my4boysandme

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fantastic photos! I love the one of Finn sitting waiting for the other kids to sit too. He looks so... i dont know... adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww that is such a great excursion and wow yes 3 hours is mammoth - esp for lil Harper but sounds like she was loving it too!! sounds like Finn totally loved it... wouldnt have even thought of taking the kids there (but then i dont think lily has even heard of guns or war, lol!!) but looks like they could enjoy it too! Gorgeous photos of course - finn in the crowd of kids is just the perfect capture of him!!! what a sweet surprise for your little man/ Now im imagining how much he would loooove anzac day parade next year?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the interest is there for Finn but I still think little ones who don't have any background knowledge would find things to engage with. They have a whole section called the "Discovery Zone" where all the items on display are interactive. We spent close to an hour in there :) It is a bit noisy, which takes a while for them to get used to though.
      Yes I think we need to get him involved in ANZAC day next year!

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't have thought of going to the War Memorial but will now. It sounds like a fantastic place to go. Although like Kate's Lily, Audrey doesn't really know about war yet. I had trouble trying to explain Anzac Day to her and ended up saying something along the lines of it involves brave men fighting. Then Audrey asked me why they were fighting. And then I got stuck. I mean I know the reasons for the war but explaining that to a 4 year old in a way that will mean something to them (and not scare them) is tricky.
    I think we might try to go to the parade next year too (the dawn service is a bit too early for us!)
    Leah x

    ReplyDelete