Sunday 8 January 2012

DIY Reading Corner

{Harper's new book corner}
Let’s be straight, neither Lachie or I are the renovating types so when I saw numerous gorgeous book corner popping up in blogs & pinterest I knew that if we pulled it off it would be a huge achievement. Anything bigger than this little project and we would be calling the professionals in. So it is done and we are happy with it.
I had grand plans of building our own shelves, but I knew that the idea to turn $2.49 IKEA spice racks into forward facing bookshelves would suit our style (ability?) better.
{Forward facing bookshelves - nice and low for little hands.}


Purchased and painted white to match Harper’s furniture we mounted them on the wall with a bit more difficulty than anticipated. A few trips back and forth to Bunnings though and we were away.

{I picked up these capital letters at Typo for $2 each.}

My original thought was to buy a beanbag to go on the floor but I thought it may crowd the area so I bought two cute Target cushions for $15 each.

Harper & Finn are enjoying the new little reading spot and for $48 I am clocking this up as a win for us budget conscious home improvement novices.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome work! I love the simple, clean feel to it, I bet the kids adore it :)
    I am so doing this when we go back to our house - one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want one. That's the pain of renting...cannot drill or re-paint :/.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Amber, it looks wonderful and I know a couple of other little ones who would love to spend hours snuggled up in that corner reading books!

    Hope you stocked up on other goodies whilst at Ikea. Wouldn't you just love one in Canberra?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine for your comment. Finn and Harper are loving the new space.
      My sister made the IKEA trip for me and I just got the racks. I know, I know I should have gotten more but Lachie isn't a fan of IKEA products so I have to limit my purchases.
      One in Canberra - yes please!

      Delete
  4. Absolutely stunning. Harper must love going to this special corner. It looks so inviting.

    .....and I love your selection of books.

    ReplyDelete