Thursday 5 January 2012

Documenting Delight: Day five


Finn, you have always noticed letters, words & symbols around you. You went through a heavy phase when you were two where you would ask when passing a road sign “What’s that say?” Every sign you saw you needed to know what it said & what it meant. Apart from surrounding you with a love of words and books, we have never directed you towards “learning” anything. It has been surprising and wonderful to watch you make connections this year. Pointing out letters “Thomas has a T!”, finding similarities in the way letters looks “Mummy! If you turn this letter around (‘u’) it is an ‘n’!" and then piecing the letters in your own name together. You have been equally amazed by these discoveries as we have been to witness them.

Today the learning went a little something like this:

With quite a bit of distress in your voice
“Where is the other ‘n’?”
“Honey, there is only one ‘n’ in this pack”
“But I can’t make my name”
“Here’s another ‘n’ for you”
“There it is!”
Looking at your name with a puzzled look. Few seconds pass by, you look to me and I help you re-arrange them.


I love that you notice things around you and that this part of you has added an extra dimension to your love of books and reading. I hope that you continue to be amazed by words, to notice what is in your environment and of coarse, that you keep sharing these little light bulb moments with me.

4 comments:

  1. That is such a wonderful, beautiful story. You have a clever little man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I can totally relate to this. Finn and Hannah are so similar.

    This is such a great memory for Finn to read about later on when he is older. I love that you improvised and added another 'N' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks lovelies for the comments :)
    I love that this project is making me jot down these sweet little conversations I am having with my kids :)

    ReplyDelete