Wednesday 18 January 2012

Documenting Delight: Day eighteen


Finn, I think you noticed that today was a difficult day. I was a little stressed out wasn’t I buddy? After lunch today you looked at me with worried eyes and said “Are you tired Mummy?” I just nodded, unable to talk. I knew if I opened my mouth, tears would closely follow. Your little sister is walking a road that you have already travelled, the emotional rollercoaster of being a two year old. Sometimes you ignore her tantrums, other times you sit quietly and watch. I wonder what you are thinking when you see your sister in such a distressed state? You also occasionally give me a little heaps up, “Mum, I think she’s gonna vomit!” (Yes, Harper is a vomitting tantrum-er.) There were tantrums a plenty today. A day where finding delight was tricky but like all days it’s there if I look hard enough. Like all days, I find it in my children. Today I found a little pocket of delight in you my sweet boy. You came to me with two ropes and asked me to tie them around your waist. I did and then you walked off to the playroom and come back with two of your wooden tools. My handy man needed a tool belt so that’s exactly what you made. I love how resourceful you are Finn, you can take random household items and turn it into an hour’s worth of play. Thank you for making me smile today sweet boy.
P.S. I know you loathe going to the hairdresser but I think it's on the cards buddy :)

9 comments:

  1. Somedays it's tough to focus on the delights, especially with a finding their way in the world toddler! I totoally get that!

    DON"T cut that hair! It's gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your understanding!
      I do love the curls but in this heat they do get quite tangled. Might leave it a bit longer then....

      Delete
  2. Good on you for plugging along and finding those little delights even on the challenging days! Oh Finn, he just keeps getting sweeter, that boy! :) love his little belt, too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. Took a fair amount of deep breathing to get through yesterday but like everyday I made it :)
      Finn is such a sweet boy. A real gentle soul.

      Delete
  3. Haper vomits when she tantrums?! Oh Amber, she has really been sent here to test you (and delight you as well obviously), sounds like a hard, hard day. *hugs*

    Finn is very creative, I love that he is so caring when Harper is needing time and attention. You're such a great Mama Amber, don't even forget that xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, yes :(
      She gets so worked up that during big releases it does happen. It is pretty distressing for everyone. She really does test and delight me! I really do feel for her as I can see that her emotions overwhelm her. I know that over the years she will need support to manage her big feelings.
      Finn is a real sweetheart. he does n=knwo when to pull back and give Harper space. For a boy of only 3 years old he is very considerate and caring :)
      Thanks for your sweet message :)

      Delete
  4. They know don't they> When we are having a tough day? Hard to hind our emotions sometimes unfortunately. I had one of those days today. I cried like a baby. Over tired. Exhausted. My Finn hadn't slept well at all and I cracked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They always know.
      I hope tomorrow is a much better day for you and your Finn :)

      Delete
  5. Slowly catching up on a few posts that I missed so only just saw this one. You're such an amazing mum Amber & I always think of you when I try to find inspiration to be a little bit more patient. And I wish I'd known that you were having one of those tough days because I would've loved to have left dinner on your doorstep just to make a tiring day a little bit easier for you x
    Leah

    ReplyDelete