Friday 30 March 2012

Documenting Delight: Day ninety {breastfeeding a toddler - how did I get here?}


Harper is 2 years and 4 months old and she is still breastfeeding. Sounds old right? Might sound odd to some too.  Before I had Harper, breastfeeding into toddlerhood wasn’t on my agenda. It was far from my plan, but we are here. So how did I come to be breastfeeding a toddler?

I have been beyond blessed by my babies seeming to know what they are doing as we began & continued our breastfeeding relationship. They latch on straight after birth and never seem to look back. On the technical side it has always been easy for me. Unlike some of my friends who have battled mastitis, sore nipples, lazy attachment, supply issues, I am one of the lucky ones. Sure, I have faced challenges along the way but nothing which caused me physical pain or decreased the confidence I had in my ability to feed my babies. I knew though, that most successful breastfeeding relationships aren’t  based on luck alone. While the beginning days and weeks unfolded naturally, as weeks turned into months I worked hard to keep my lucky start going. A complex combination of factors lead to a positive breastfeeding experience, and I feel grateful that whether they were the  elements that were there naturally or ones which I had to seek out and persist with, all my ducks lined up and I was left with not one but two positive breastfeeding experiences with my kids.


Finn stopped feeding when I was about 9 weeks pregnant with Harper. He was 13 months old. I had never set a goal for our breastfeeding relationship but when he refused to feed I was relieved as I was battling the normal first trimester tiredness.

Prior to Harper’s birth I completed a lot of reading on demand feeding and began hearing about Attachment Parenting. Unlike my experience with Finn’s baby days I wasn’t going to let the “Should Brigade” influence me (“Your baby should be sleeping through the night by now” , “Your baby should stop needing feeds over the night by six months” etc, etc). I set out to be an instinctual mother, to do what felt right for me, for my baby and my family.

Harper arrived and the attachment parenting style suited her perfectly. She was a snugly baby. A baby who didn’t like to go to sleep alone. A reflux baby who cried in pain and calmed down (marginally) when she was held. Breastfeeding was similar to my experience with Finn however this time I didn’t watch the clock, I fed Harper to sleep and I didn’t count nor worry about how many feeds she had had in a 24 hour period.

Breastfeeding Harper has never been connected with time. I didn't set myself an age for ending our breastfeeding relationship and to be honest I haven't thought much about her age in connection to her still breastfeeding. Harper isn't just an age, she is my baby who has gradually grown and changed whilst in my arms. While outsiders may see how old she is and question whether that is an acceptable age to be breastfeeding, I see nothing but her, Harper; a toddler who loves her mum and happens to love breastfeeding too.

My baby is no longer a baby but here I am breastfeeding her. It wasn’t my intention to continue to this point but my instincts kicked in and I am doing what feels right. It may not be right for society or for the majority of my friends but that is ok. When I go into my own little parenting bubble, when it is just her and I, I know that this just where we should be. Two years and four months and still breastfeeding.


15 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Amber, and stunning photos - great memories! Im proud of you for putting this 'out there' and proud of you for doing what is right for you and your girl - that is all that matters! We all make parenting choices not 'everyone' else would do and that is ok and our right as parents - there is no 'one' way. I love your commitment to your girl and also the way you didnt put limits on your breastfeeding - let it unfold naturally and as long as its working for *both* of you - well... AWESOME!!!! Love it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a true source of encouragement Kate. Thank you.
      You are spot on about our choices. No parent is going to completely match another parent's choices. We just have to be well educated surrounding our decisions and have our kids best interests at heart.

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful. I love the photos, so magical and divine photos. What a great experience for you and the little Harper, and it's stories like this that encourage me for next time. I really struggled to reach 6 months but go you for putting it out and being so damn proud.
    Great post, just delightful :)
    Angie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment Angie. It means a lot to me :)
    It sounds like you really want to improve on your experience from first time around and I am sure you will give it all you've got to make it a success. Call on me anytime when you are looking to prepare yourself second time around :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber I am so glad you wrote this post. Even though I am not as far along as you in my breastfeeding relationship with Blake, I get this feeling sometimes that I don't actually know how long it will last. I might still be BF him in a year or he might wean by the end of the month! So marking this beautiful relationship with photographs and words is really important and something I am sure you and Harper will more than appreciate in years to come.

    You are my inspiration xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to see that you have been taking photos of your beautiful Blake feeding in this project too. I get what you mean about not knowing what the time frame may be, although I am quite certain that Harper isn't giving up her Mama milk anytime soon ;)

      Thank you for your encouragement and you know that you inspire ME in so many ways too :)

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful post, I think that top photo says it all. Good on you for following your instincts. It's so easy to just do what others suggest or take offense to what they think you 'should' be doing. A mother always knows what's best. I'm sure there are many mums out there that will really appreciate your honesty, thanks for sharing your story. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Vanessa :)
      It was a post where I had to be open and honest (which isn't always easy to do in such a big forum). It's a big part of my life, Harper's life so I had to stay true to my feelings.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful Amber, just lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post and beautiful photos Amber. I breastfed my third baby until a couple of weeks before his third birthday. We both cried together when I told him we were finally done. You have to go with what feels right for both you and her, in the whole scheme of life, 2 years and 4 months is still so young.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So proud if you Amber. What an exquisite post and so sensitive too. Harper will be proud of it too when she is grown! I know feeding Harry is still the right thing for me too (at 2 and 6 months), even with a 6 month old baby as well. As you know it's an ever changing relationship with ups and downs, ebs and flows, but something he still needs for a number of reasons. With the constant change in our lives it's nice to have a constant source of comfort for him :)
    Much love Alissa xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a beautiful post Amber. I love it. And it will be so special for you and Harper to look back on.
    Your post also got me reflecting on how what is "right" for you and your baby can be different for your different children. Not sure how anyone can ever think that there is one "right" thing to do for all children when it can be different even within a family.
    Leah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah, you are so lovely for stopping by and commenting on this post.
      Ah, your words are so true! That's the thing, these babies of ours come with their own personalities and temperaments and sometimes these traits can be so different from their sibling/s. I think it is our job as parents to recognise what our kids "need" from us (even if it may not be how we parented previously). Harper has taught me so much in this area.
      Love to you my dear friendxxx

      Delete
  10. I love this post (well all your posts actually!). I already feel s bit emotional about breastfeeding Neve for the last time and we may well have a couple of years left!! I breastfed Anton until he decided against it a few days after Neve was born, he was 2 and a half. I went to England to my parent's house to be able to have home births with Anton and Neve and it was clear that most of my (very relaxed and non-judgemental family) thought that I had fed for too long and was making things hard for myself. I really wanted the experience of feeding them both and really cherish the short time I did it (though relieved it wasn't for too long). Living in Turkey has had its own challenges which I wrote a bit about a while ago http://arockandasoftplace.blogspot.com/2012/06/warning-this-post-contains-breasts.html
    Feeling a bit isolated in my attitude at times reading your post was just such a lovely affirmation. Thanks so much for writing it.

    ReplyDelete