Tuesday 27 March 2012

Documenting Delight: Day eighty seven {Finn's fourth Birthday}


My first born, my first baby is now a four year old. I have been a mother for four years. Sounds like a long time right? Parts of his journey, my journey, seem to have zoomed by and parts seem as though they were a lifetime ago. Prior to his first three birthdays I found myself in deep reflection but in the lead up to this birthday I was in the moment. Finn was aware that his birthday wasn’t far away and he was excited. Excited about the cake (which I will be making for his Party this weekend.....so I made him cupcakes on his actual birthday, to avoid cake disappointment of coarse), excited about possible fire truck/construction related presents and excited about a visit from his Nonna and Poppy. As his special day got closer I was excited for him too and forgot to cast my thoughts to the past.

{Finn's countdown chart- an important aspect of the birthday lead up for our number obsessed boy}

Being a non-playschool day I thought that Finn might like to visited Questacon on his birthday morning. I posed the suggestion to the birthday boy shortly after he had opened his presents:

Me: Finn would you like to head to Questacon for a play?
Finn: Um, I think I would like to just stay here and play with my toys.
He’s a homebody through and through.
So I deferred the trip to Questacon for a couple of hours so he could explore his new toys.
The day was topped off with our family tradition of choosing the restaurant for a Birthday dinner. Finn’s request was to have a “rice meal”. Restaurant selection was obviously on the challenging side. Both Finn and Harper enjoyed demolishing an impressive amount of Chinese food with their special guests Nonna and Poppy alongside them.

Finn, as each year has passed we have had the privilege of watching you grow into a funny, sensitive, caring, quirky, gentle and inquisitive child.

Our curly haired boy, we love you for all of these reasons and many many more. Happy Birthday mate.

{Finn's birthday in pictures}

3 comments:

  1. gorgeous collection of memories for the day!! LOVE the chart - haha you can tell he got more excited as the day approached, by the crosses :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Happy Birthday Finn!

    I understand what you mean about being in the moment... every birthday so far I have been in a bit of a mourning process and this year I am determined to really just be in the moment during their birthday and do some reflection through the letters I write them only.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful birthday for Finn with such special memories.
    Leah x

    ReplyDelete